2/15/12

Sandy Alderson, Tweets, and the Job of a Baseball General Manager


By: Mack Ade 

I’m really not sure what I feel about all this. Frankly, the only reason I’m writing this is because I have run out of subjects to bark about before ST opens.

Regulars of MMs know how much I dislike beat reporters sharing stale one-liners on Twitter. I’m old school. They are paid to write about sports, not tryout for SNL.

I would be really upset if Mr. Alderson’s twitter time was interfering with him signing a player that could help this team, but that’s not going to happen. The Mets have accomplished the goal of reducing the payroll to a level that gives them a fighting chance to break even in 2012.

Remember, I did “work-out” jobs for a living. This is the correct first step in turning around an underwater business. It’s called “stop the bleeding”.

The other thing is we’re only talking (at time of writing this) about eight tweets. Adam Rubin does that in one bathroom break. Alderson hasn’t gone crazy about the world; the world has gone crazy about Alderson.

What I AM upset about is the fact that Anderson chooses to “follow” only the beat guys instead of some of us independent bloggers.  Joe D over at Metsmeried borrowed MMs concept of asking a group of important Mets blogs what they thought of Alderson’s tweeting and the answers were mixed (no, I wasn’t invited).

What I would caution Mr. Alderson (I can’t call him Sandy because we have never met, talked, texted, or tweeted) on is making jokes about the financial situation he currently is pulling a paycheck from.  You shouldn’t make jokes about people with larger offices than yours.

Anything can happen this year. Think Victor Cruz and Jeremy Lin.

Me? I would concentrate on running the Mets rather than running the mouth.




No comments: