3/4/12

Draft Saturday Notes


·         Florida junior Austin Maddox  closed out Friday night and ran his pitching stats for the season up to: 12.0-IP, 0.00, 3-saves, 6-H, 0-BB, 0-R, 16-K. And this guy is a third baseman and a catcher! You’re not going to see Maddox in a lineup this season other than as a late inning pitcher. I projected him as a sup-1 pick as a catcher; however, it’s hard to project where any relievers go in the early rounds of a draft. Trust me, if he keeps this up, he’s a guaranteed first rounder. 


·         Another name to keep an eye on is Troy University senior Tyler Ray. His numbers this year are so far off the charts: 2-0, 0.45 ERA, 20 IP, 1 ER, 3 BB, 15 K, .155 OBA.  

Tyler told me his thoughts on the start of his season: 

“This year has gotten off to a great start. I feel like my confidence has carried over from last year along with getting better in the off season. I am not a very big strike out guy to where I very rarely dominate a game with strike outs. Because I don't have a big out pitch, I can't afford to hand the opponent free bases. I am a big believer in letting the defense work behind me and making the hitters put the ball in play. My success early this season has been because I have kept my walk numbers low for the most part and defense has played well behind me. If those two categories are going for us, we are a good team on Friday nights.”


·         Notes from Patrick Ebert: 

Courtney Hawkins (Carroll H.S., Texas OF) has hit 5 home runs in his last 2 games. We have enjoyed watching Hawkins' progression since last June when we selected him to be a part of our PG All-American Classic. He hit the ball well in Fort Myers, San Diego and in Jupiter at the WWBA World Championship. In Houston I was standing next to one of Hawkins' Houston Banditos teammates (Rock Rucker) in the batting circle in which Rucker said something to the effect of, "How is he going to wow us today?" Truly a special talent. - http://www.perfectgame.org/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=6656&MessageID=12294#post12294



·         Remember last year when LHP Matt Purke was #1 on all the early mocks, but dropped when his arm went dead for a few weeks?  Lots of teams passed on this kid (including the Mets) and I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone but the Washington Nationals kicks themselves in the ass for not picking him when they had the chance. Yesterday for the Nats:  3IP, 0ER, 1H, 0BB, 3K 


·         Speed Checks:

o   UCLA junior RHP Scott Griggs – 91-94, 77-78 CV
o   Houston Jordon Lewis – 88-90, 76 curve
o   Arkansas Randall Fant  85-88, 77-78 change, 76 curve
o   Texas Hoby Milner – 86-88, 76-77 curve, 81-82 change 

·         Lines:

o   Rice Austin Kubitza – 1.2-IP, 1-H, 2-ER, 5-BB, 0-K
o   UGA 6-4 LHP (2013) Alex Wood – 8.0-IP, 2-H, 0-R, 14-K, 0-BB
o   Stanford RHP Mark Appel – 8.0-IP, 7-ER, 11-K, 3-BB
o   Arizona junior Kurt Heyer – 9.0-IP, CG, 6-H, 1-R, 14-K, 0-BB
o   Houston senior Jordan Lewis – 6.0-IP, 0-R, 4-H, 3-K, 3-BB


1 comment:

Susana said...

If the Mets had take Purke, his arm would still be dead to this day.