3/3/12

Q and A for Mack on... 2012


Terrell asked:  Hey Mack, is it too early to ask you for a prediction what the Mets are going to do this year?

Mack:  Hey, it’s never too early.
Let me first say the same thing I say every year. It’s all about the pitching.
I really like what the Mets have done this year with the pen. The depth may even cost Bobby Parnell a job this season.
The problem is the same rotation returns and they don’t have Angel Pagan, Carlos Beltran, and Jose Reyes playing behind them.
And the problems are only beginning for the Mets in this division. Every other team improved themselves in the free agent market. Basically, the Mets only addressed the pen.
I do see a bunch of good things. It truly is the Mets turn to not to be hit with the injury bug and I do feel the new field dimensions are going to help a bunch of guys. I think Jon Niese is going to have a signature year and Jon Rauch will finish the season as the Mets closer. What I don’t see is a comeback year for either Mike Pelfrey or Jason Bay.
First, some good news standing wise... the Mets will not finish in last place. It’s my opinion that the Miami Marlins are going to implode behind the embarrassment they call their manager.
But, alas, I have run out of good news. I do think they will give Atlanta a run for third but, in the long run, they are a fourth place team without quality starters.
Lastly, the financial cleansing of the house continues. I believe this will be the last year for David Wright, Bay, Pelfrey, Johan Santana, and R.A. Dickey. The Mets will have to eat most of Santana and Bay’s contract but 2013 will be the beginning of the Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Matt Harvey era. I can’t see the Mets going for a multi-year contract for Dickey, who will be offered that by a number of clubs. Pelfrey’s fate is probably in the hands of Jeurys Familia and Wright will someday wear a championship ring. It just won’t be with this team.

No comments: