4/24/12

Daniel Murphy

I loved Murph ever since he made his major league debut a couple of years ago. I remember I used to joke with my hitting coach (one of many coaches in college) that he was the best hitter in all of baseball. Obviously, I was joking around but still, the guy could swing a bat. One of my buddies used to work those Mets summer baseball camps and Murph happened to pop in one day to speak to the campers. According to my buddy, The best line from Murph  was when he was asked about hitting home runs. "Home runs are just doubles that run out of room." Wow, genius I thought, I never looked at it like that... Hit the ball into the gap for a double and hopefully a good portion of them will run out of room.. I wish I heard this earlier in my own career!

At that point Murph was leading our putrid squad in home runs. Fast forward now to 2012 and Murph has yet to pop one out. I think he has a great approach at the plate, he's a feisty two strike hitter who puts the ball in play to all fields. I think he is a wonderful hit and run candidate (which I prefer to bunting any day of the week) and a guy that I want up when a big hit is needed. However, I think Murph needs to drive the ball better. Home runs usually come in bunches but, having that aspect in Murph's game would make him such a dangerous hitter. Why not go up there with a couple swings per game and try no knock one over Shea Bridge? He's such a good hitter that he should be able to drive the ball to left center out into the Party City deck.. .310 with 15-18 home runs and 35 doubles shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Go take some hacks Murph and sacrifice a couple bleeders down the left field line with some bombs into the bullpen...

No comments: