4/19/12

Mack Ade’s Mock v4.0




Mack Ade’s Mock v4.0

By – Mack Ade


1.        I have two players in this position, which represents a problem. I’m going to put one name here and the other as the next pick. Both are ‘bats’ and both are right now coming off as the ‘best talent available’. This doesn’t mean there isn’t great pitching in this draft. It just means these two guys are projected further. – Mike Zunino – C – University of Florida.



2.        This is the other number one pick. Another premium big bat, but this one comes out of high school. Higher ceiling, but more question marks due to his age. Projects as a 5-tool player (just like Fernando Martinez, Lastings Milledge, and Carlos Gomez). Top tool is speed. Excellent bat and arm. Lots of scouts use the ‘Upton’ word when describing him. Committed to Georgia (fat chance). -  Byron Buxton – OF – Appling County (GA) H.S.


3.        I had this guy as the 8th top RHP in the draft, but he quickly moved to front. Sits at 95-96, hits 99, and never throws a fastball below 90, He’s a 6-4 converted infielder that barely played in high school. Out of nowhere. - Kyle Zimmer – RHP - USF





4.        Here is a particular favorite of mine because he was a writer here on Mack’s Mets until one of his advisors pulled him aside and probably said ‘WTF!’…  Big time D1 Friday starter - Kevin Gausman – RHP - LSU






5.        This RHP entered the mock season as the consistent number one pick in the draft. It could still happen, but I’ve got him five for one reason. He simply has had a hard time dominating with all his talent. Sits sometimes at 97-98. Wow. - Mark Appel – RHP – Stanford.



6.        This is your best defensive shortstop in the draft. In case you didn’t realize it, your shortstop should be able to play, err, shortstop. He also can spray with the best of them. I love this guy. - Deven Marrero – SS – Arizona State





7.        I would shit if this kid dropped to #12, but it’s not going to happen. He’ll be throwing again real soon and far before the opening of the draft. I can see it now… he grabs his glove, asks his father if he wants to have a catch in the yard, and there are 400 scouts out there with guns turned on. No, he’s a goner which really pisses me off.  - Lucas Giolito – RHP – Harvard-Westlake (CA) H.S.





8.        When was the last time that two high school teammates were both drafted in the first ten picks of a draft? And that doesn’t even add the odds that they are both starting pitchers. I hope both fathers don’t spend separate money for the draft party. Let the high school bring in a big screen, set it up in the gum, and party down Westlake! - Max Fried  - LHP – Harvard-Westlake (CA) H.S.



9.        Nobody likes when I put this kid in the top ten picks. Look, if you can bounce back from mono the way this guy has done, you get on my list. He can spray it anywhere and Jonathan Mayo says he minds him of Johnny Damon, which is good in my book.  Also, excellent runner - David Dahl – OF – Oak Mountain (AL) H.S.



10.      Another pitcher that no one had early on in their top ten list, this tall, lanky righty tops out at 94 with a + changeup and a 12-6 curve. Just needs time – Walker Weickel – RHP – Olympia (WA) H.S.

11.      A considerable amount of mocks have this guy as the second outfielder to be taken in the draft. I have him third. Either way, both he and Dahl will be gone before the Mets pick. Excellent center fielder with pop to all fields. - Albert Almora – OF – Masters Acadamy (FL) H.S. 



#12 - ??? 
Here’s where you come in. I’ve done the easy part. You have to go through all the names that are still on the board and come back with who the Mets would pick if my first 11 guesses are correct.

Have fun!

34 comments:

Christopher Soto said...

Stryker Trahan gets my vote....Mets need a big time catcher. He's young and will get ample opportunity to fine tune his receiving skills in the low minors.

Cjmcnell said...

I agree, Stryker will be the pick. Michael Wacha is a good choice, but doesn't have the upside our front office loves.

Mack Ade said...

you two do both realize that his defensive skills and arm are less than Josh Thole?

Cjmcnell said...

His potential is greater than thole's and we need a catching prospect in the worst way.

Christopher Soto said...

If Thole can learn to be a better receiver in the Majors in one offseason.....Stryker can learn even more in 4-5 seasons in the minors.....he'll be fine. As for the arm....it'll get stronger as he fills out. We are talking about a High Schooler

Mack Ade said...

there were around 8 "never" things that scouts never did "back in the day"

one was: NEVER draft a high school catcher

you just don't know why he was there and where he was heading...

Sadiq Rahman said...

Hey Mack...
I`m kinda surprised that you didn`t put Carlos Correa in your list...

So here is my pick...
The New York Mets select Carlos Correa, a SS from the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy.

The Mets picking Correa would be a PERFECT replacement for that guy down in Miami. It will make Mets fans forget about Jose Reyes. Correa is the best avaible SS in the draft since Manny Machado in 2010. Correa appears to be pretty polished for a HS SS, but still probably will take 3-4 years to come up. DO IT SANDY!!

One can dream... but I just don`t see how Correa lasts for the Mets. But as you say, if the Mets pick Correa, I`ll be dancing in the halls!

Thoughts?

Mack Ade said...

funny you bring him up..

most thnk Correa is better than Merrero... Law and Olney both do...

if I had Correa in Deven's slot, would you then pick Merrero at 12?

Mack Ade said...

Chris...

re Thole:

I really like the guy... and know him well, but he has NOT become a better catcher... he's batting 8th in the NL but he's catching like a deer in the headlights

Mack Ade said...

Chris...

re Thole:

I really like the guy... and know him well, but he has NOT become a better catcher... he's batting 8th in the NL but he's catching like a deer in the headlights

Mack Ade said...

Chris...

re Thole:

I really like the guy... and know him well, but he has NOT become a better catcher... he's batting 8th in the NL but he's catching like a deer in the headlights

Sadiq Rahman said...

I might pick Marrero at 12, probably because he shouldn't have dropped that much. I still like Correa's overall offensive potential better than Deven Marrero.

Stephen Guilbert said...

I tried to post this on my phone before there were any comments but I guess it didn't go through...The pick here absolutely would be Carlos Correa. He is probably my favorite player in this draft and even though he might outgrow shortstop, he is one of the top players and he'd be a gift at #12.

To answer your question, Mack, Yes I would take Marrero if he were available.

I think there will be a MAJOR player to fall to us at #12 and cause some papers to fly in the prep room. Think Giolito or Gausman or Appel. Maybe even Fried (crossing my fingers). There are just too many attractive players and teams WILL reach for players they like (I could see players like Taylore Cherry, Trey Williams, Matt Smoral, Lucas Sims) getting snagged because teams fall in love with them. The more players that happens to, the further the "top" players slip. The Mets could be looking at a situation in June where Fried, Dahl, Wacha, Beck, Brian Johnson, McCullers, Correa, Trahan etc. are all on the board. The Mets will have their pick of the lot in a lot of ways and it is going to be very interesting to see who they take.

Given players I believe have a 50% or better shot of being around I want:

Fried
Dahl
Correa
Trey Williams
Trahan
Brian Johnson (I like him more than most)

That lists changes daily..btw.

Mack Ade said...

Stephen...

that is what EXACTLY happened last year when the Mets picked 13th

there were 2 or 3 weird picks before that and I remember sitting there with the Mets on the clock... so excited... because they had to decide between Sonny Gray, Alex Meyer, Jed Bradley, and Tyler Jungman...

and then they pick Nimmo.

Sadiq Rahman said...

I really wanted Taylor Jungmann but the Brewers picked him right before us.

Stephen Guilbert said...

I wasn't big on Jungmann. I really liked Gray, Anderson, Barnes (although I was wary of him) and Meyer (also wary) and I guess I was crazy to think that Guerrieri would have been a good pick there (how far did he end up falling? What a steal the Rays got with that one).

I think that could definitely happen again this year. The question is...who will fall? How much will Giolito's injury knock him down? How much risk will top teams needing to rebuild (Cubs, Astros) avoid risker high schoolers like Buxton, Dahl, Giolito, Fried, and McCullers? Will teams get worried that Appel still isn't dominating like he should be?


I know Mack and I disagree on this but I really really like Marcus Stroman. The guy could be a big league closer right now but I think he sticks in the rotation. He has a high-90s fastball and the best slider in the nation and a solid change. Name another prospect that has three plus to plus-plus pitches? If he were 6'5" he'd be the consensus #1 pick and touted as the next Strasburg. No, that's not hyperbolic. He's that good. He's just short. Really short. (for a major leaguer...I am exactly the same height as he is and consider myself...average? haha)

Shankbone said...

Love the mock descriptions, agree with a lot of the opinions.

Correa is the obvious choice for me, love that pick. He may take some time though.

If you're timing Wheeler/Harvey to arrive for real in 2014 feet wet, doing something in 2015...

The pick should be Victor Roache.

BOOM!

Power is the hardest thing to find these days.

Mack Ade said...

I don't dislike Stroman... I dislike him as a 1st round pick

You just NEVER waste a 12 on a reliever... ("Eddie Kunz on line htree...")

If I did, I would pick Austin Maddox first. At least I get a 3rd catcher also :)

Mack Ade said...

Shank:

Roache's cast came off today...

Giolito will soft toss soon (right, Rich?)....

everything changes when these guys aren't thought of as hurt players...

Mack Ade said...

and...

here's the HOT names leaping into the first round right now...

Zach Eflin, RHP (Paul J. Hagerty HS, FL)

Clate Schmidt, RHP (Allatoona HS, GA)

Shankbone said...

As a Giants fan I am hoping Roache might drop to the 20, and love the GA prep pitchers: Sims, Underwood and Schmidt, in that order. I also like Hunter Virant more than most.

Question: Is Richie Shaffer rising for real? I have only seen him once on TV, he looked way more athletic than any description I had read. Useful power, 3 true outcome type, might be able to hack 3rd or RF. I like that pick, not for your Mets at 12, but maybe at 20.

Mack Ade said...

I believe Shaffer is for real...

He just keeps hiting against quality pitching...

he's right now easily one of the top 5 3Bman and probably is a sup1 pick... right now...

Stephen Guilbert said...

Shank: Love Virant as well.

Mack: I'm not suggesting Stroman as a reliever....I'm suggesting he be drafted as a starter.

Mack Ade said...

top college 3Bman... today...

Stephen Piscotty
Kenny Diekroeger
Matt Reynolds
Richie Shaffer
Patrick Wisdom

Mack Ade said...

Per MLB Draft Guide:


1

Richie Shaffer

Clemson



2

Trey Williams

Valencia (CA)



3

Rio Ruiz

Bishop Amat (CA)



4

Stephen Piscotty

Stanford



5

Carson Kelly

Westview (OR)



6

Mitch Nay

Hamilton (AZ)



7

Patrick Wisdom

St. Mary’s



8

Corey Seager

Northwest Cabarrus (NC)



9

David Thompson

Westminster Christian (FL)



10

Daniel Robertson

Upland (CA)



11

Ron Miller

Serra (CA)



12

Cameron Perkins

Purdue



13

Fernando Perez

Central Arizona CC



14

Corey Oswalt

James Madison (CA)



15

Eric Neitzel

Gulliver Prep (FL)

Shankbone said...

Giants fans are salivating over Stroman, and yes the Lincecum comparisons are being thrown out pretty hard and fast. He's proven he can stretch out and maintain velocity. Is there a third plus pitch? I like him a lot, and I bet he gets snagged somewhere in the teens.

Shankbone said...

For the 3B right now, I'd take my chances with Shaffer. The Stanford guys just don't seem to have power, they are gap hitters trying to do something else. I think all the Stanford picks this year are where the bad money is.

Love the power potential of Ron Miller, Trey Williams and Addison Russell though. That's something the Mets might be able to snag in the supplemental and 2nd.

Stephen Guilbert said...

I like Trey Williams a lot but he's slipping in draft boards. He used to be a top-5 guy.

Stroman throws what I would consider a ++ slider a + to ++ fastball and a + change as a college Friday night starter. The only--seriously only--hesitation about him is that he's 5'8".

Mack Ade said...

you will never see another 5-8 starter in MLB... not enough arch and too many quality low ball hitters...

Mack Ade said...

no one asked me my pick...

Walker Weickel

Shankbone said...

Mack - you had him going 10th already. Also he's from Olympia HS FLorida not WAshington.

Height listings are always screwy, it was my impression that Stroman is more like 5'10. I just have to nod over to Lincecum on this one, he is 5'10 or 5'11 for reals.

Mack Ade said...

DOH

pain drugs kicked in...

party rockin.... :)

Stephen Guilbert said...

I still am convinced someone will take Stroman as a starter and I'm gonna hold you to that statement, Mack :-p

Bob Sugar said...

Thanks for the real good reads and your work Mack!