4/9/12

Mets Stuff - Sandy, OP, Gorski, Zack Wheeler, Frank Frank


Mets Stuff  - Sandy, OP, Gorski, Zack Wheeler, Frank Frank

Core success is what the Mets seek. Sandy Alderson mentioned the word “core’’ several times yesterday, and that word is essential to the Mets’ plan. The Yankees turned it all around in the mid-90s with their “Core Four,” and the Mets, despite their ocean of financial woes, want to follow a similar blueprint. They should only hope to have one-fourth of the success the Yankees have had with their Big Four. Building through the farm system is the only way to go. By doing that, and bringing in the walls, the Mets got a little something going these first two games of the season. -  link

Oliver Perez, 90-93 FB, + SL 3-IP,  3-K

Kirk Nieuwenhuis being considered for the leadoff spot in the future per Terry Collins

Boston released IF Brad Emaus

Cleveland released IF Argenis Reyes.

The Dodgers released C Sal Manriguez and OF Cory Sullivan.

Minnesota released OF Dustin Martin.

Toronto released P Nelson Figueroa.

Jeurys Familia tabbed to face Yankees Dellin Betances in the Bisons home opener Wednesday 

SP Zack Wheeler NYM (STL 3.13, 53rd overall) [ETA 2012/2013] - Reasoning: I really got pidgeon-holed into this pick. It really came down to whether I wanted a pitching prospect in 2 and a hitter in round 3, or vice versa. I took the vice versa approach. After taking potential phenom Starling, I had no choice but to go SP, as next round it really drops off pretty hard. Wheeler is the last true #1/2 semi-ace type pitcher on the board, and this round really didn’t excite me all too much. I thought about taking Walker in round 2, so that I could take any of Yelich/Alonso/Rizzo/Baez etc. in this round. However I think Starling and Wheeler present the most valuable combo, so that’s what I went with. This is a perfect draft, after all.  link 

Frank Francisco became the first player in franchise history to earn a save in his first three games with the club:

“It feels great, they were waiting for me, and I was waiting for them to give me the opportunity to go out there and do my thing. When I was went to throw my bullpen I was trying to figure it out where I was gonna be. But after my bullpen I knew I was going to be fine … I don’t worry about my knee at the end of the game, I only care about the game and I feel good pitching.”


Mets are alone in first place for the first time since May 1, 2010


Darin Gorski:

"I tried to get to get ahead with the fastball, and then being able to throw the off-speed pitches for strikes keeps guys honest. If you're wasting those pitches, then they can just spit at them, but if you can start throwing them for strikes, it makes it a little bit easier. Pitching is pitching, regardless of what level you're doing it at, You try to throw strikes, get ahead of hitters and stay on top of them that way. You know, [being at] Double-A really didn't affect me when I got out there. It's just a batter, a catcher and an umpire back there. You go out there and execute pitches accordingly."

No comments: