4/7/12

Q and A with Mack and... The Captain

Reese Kaplan  -
Mack, I read this article and for all of the hype Mets fans have been stirring internally, this assessment is not exactly glowing: http://blog.nj.com/mets/2012/04/who_is_kirk_nieuwenhuis.html  Projects as a 4th outfielder with average defense and average arm, having trouble making contact?  I think it's probably a tad harsh.  I'd like to hear from folks who have seen him play more often to get a better handle on the type of player he is.
Mack: 
Maybe not.
I’ve always liked Nieuwenhuis but I’ve never met or talked to any scout that projected him as more than a utility outfielder. Of course, the same scouts said the same think about Lucas Duda.
I’ve always considered Kirk an average defensive centerfielder. A scout told me once that he makes routine plays look spectacular. Matt den Dekker projects out with far more range and speed out there.
He doesn’t hit lefthanders well at all, and we are talking left handed minor league pitchers, not the kind of talent he’s about to go up against.
Baseball Cube gives him: 70-speed, 31-contact, 62-patience, 76-batting, and 79-power.
My wife gives him 99-hotness.
He’s had 388-K in 1501-AB. That’s not good.
He also has only 44-HR’s in what translates to three seasons worth of at-bats. That’s not good either.
That being said, he’s a lot better than what’s left of Jason Bay, but probably far less than what Brandon Nimmo will be someday.


Christopher Soto:   

I view Kirk as an above average defender who's suited for LF but can easily hold down CF. I can see him putting up a .270 avg with about 15hr's a season. Not star material but a good supplemental piece on a good team. Aaron Rowand would be a good comparison.

Defensively he doesnt take very good routes however for a big guy (6'3" 200 I think) he surprisely has good closing speed to make up for it and an excellent glove. He's extremely aggresive in the field which leads to great plays and some not so great.
He has a very good strong bat with average power potential however he strikes out way too much.

No comments: