4/6/12

You Can Call Him an Idiot--but not a Cheapskate

I've heard alot this year about Fred Wilpon being cheap, and not putting money into this franchise.  To be honest, I don't get it..
From 2001-2010, the mets were within the top 5 highest payrolls in baseball all but one year.  What did that get them?  2 playoff berths and 0 rings.


If I had bought the mets 2 years ago I would have done 2 things right away.


1. Hire the smartest baseball guy out there.


2. Tell him to develop young talent, and stop spending good money after bad.


Isn't that exactly what Fred has done here?


The truth is signing free agents is the worst thing the mets could do right now.  High priced talent won't sign to play for this team unless they pay 20% over market value, and the low end guys that would sign on the cheap will only block the kids.


I love the direction this team has taken--I only hope they stay away from the back page of the post, and don't do anything stupid...Thats how we ended up paying Brett Saberhagen and Bobby Bonilla for the next 15 years.


1 comment:

Mack Ade said...

Do we actually have a writer here that is PRO-Wilpon?

Who owns this place?