6/6/12

Reflections on Draft – Day 2 - Mark Healey is Correct

Written every morning from the library of the USCB Sand Sharks’ campus.
 

Mark Healey is correct.

He laughs at all of us that give opinions of ballplayers picked in the draft that we have never seen play baseball.

Day 2 of the draft proves we waste out our time all year breaking out all the top players listed in all the mock drafts featured every day throughout the year. Then, a team like the New York Mets, go out of their way (it seems) to draft a bunch of players we never saw a printed word written about.

I can’t figure out what direction I will go in this area. It’s obvious that I don’t have enough knowledge of this game, so why would I think that the first relief pitcher taken in the draft would be either Austin Maddox or Matt Price?

No, everything in this new system is signability, a word I’m not sure is ever spelled correctly. Spell check doesn’t even offer a decent alternative.

I did like some of the names picked by the Mets from 4-10, but, to be honest, no one jumped off the computer at me. There isn’t one draft pick so far this year that I was ready to write about. Again, I assume DePo knows what he is doing. I thought last year’s draft was ‘meh’ and, I was wrong. It is turning out to be a solid draft that has produced at least one prospect (Michael Fulmer) and a few more that show promise. That’s really what you want out of a draft. A few top players.

I also assume we’ll see some more familiar names today. Everyone seems to be picking the high ceiling high school kids first and Day 3 should feature guys all the teams fell were cheap and signable. There’s another of those never spelled correctly words.

Here’s one thing that is important today: Chinese premier Wen tells Iran president that China opposes any Middle East country seeking nuclear weapons. That’s hard news. No, it has nothing to do with baseball, but I was dying to write something this morning that makes sense.

We’ll get back to the draft now and break out info on some pitcher from Swoboda School of Engineering High School, in Lower Bowels, Louisiana.




No comments: