7/15/12

Ask Mack - Pelfrey, Parnell, Duda, Valdespin



Ross Clark:   Hey Mack, I have a couple questions for you.

1)  I know most people have Mike Pelfrey written off as being gone next year.  Do you think that there is any chance the Mets hold on to him and put him in the bullpen?  I have always though that Pelfrey could be a dominant reliever and possibly a closer.  I personally drool at the thought of Pelfrey and Bobby Parnell handling the 8th and 9th innings.  Also it would seem to fit Alderson’s style of stashing starting pitching depth anywhere he can.

Mack:  First of all, thank you for the email and questions.

This is just my opinion, but you are close to seeing quite a bunch of pitching talent coming out of the system. That, coupled with who’s out on the bump right now should insure that Mike won’t be in any future Mets rotations.

I wish turning failed of oft-injured starters into successful 8th inning or closer guys was that easy. This is what makes this game great. Some see storm clouds, others only look for the rainbow. You drool at the possibility of Bobby and Mike finish a game. I drool out of fear thinking of these two closing a door, no less a game J

2)  Do you think that Lucas Duda is on the trading block at the deadline, particularly if Jordany Valdespin excels in the outfield?  If Alderson does shop Duda what could he bring back?  I have heard through the general rumor mill that the Pirates are looking for a 1B or OF, anyone in the Pirates system that Alderson could have his eye on?

Mack - Re: Duda, I hope so, but frankly, there’s not much of a market for a 1Bman that plays a lousy RF every day. First base is Duda’s natural position, but he suit up better as a DH over in the American League.

I haven’t heard anything about either Duda’s name being in play, or the Pirates looking to trade for someone hitting this poorly, but if they did have interest, I always like to go young on trades.  You are not going to get a Grade A prospect like RHP Gerrit Cole or Jameson Taillon, but I would demand at least OF Starling Marte.

No comments: