7/22/12

I May Be Wrong, But… Aurora Colorado, “Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed”, Nuthin’ For Nobody, Terry and Clubhouse Tone



1.     I know this isn’t sports related, but I can’t help but address this. My oldest granddaughter goes off to college this week, and like my daughter many years ago, I have to turn my back after we ‘move her in’ and head to the car. I can’t even turn around and see if she was crying (she was), nor can I show her that I and my wife were crying (we were). She was on her own and there’s a good chance a bunch of these college kids last night decided to spend the first night away from their parents in an Aurora, Colorado movie theatre last night, seeing “Dark Knight”. I just don’t get this world anymore and I guess that’s why we pass on. My old boss in Pittsburgh, Ted Atkins (a.k.a. ‘Captain Showbiz) died last night, but, at least he passed quietly while asleep rather than in row 4 of a safe zone called a movie theatre. Where do we send our children now? All the hurricane shelters are gone and replaced with a pool. Here in South Carolina, we don’t even have basements.



2.     Blue Jays acquired LHP J.A. Happ, RHPs Brandon Lyon and David Carpenter from the Astros in exchange for OF Ben Francisco, RHPs Francisco Cordero, Asher Wojciechowski and Joe Musgrove, LHP David Rollins and C Carlos Perez. Have you ever seen a bigger bunch of nothing. 10 nobodies for no one. Amazing.



3.     I started writing yesterday at 5am and passed out on the couch around 9pm. My wife woke me around midnight so I could ‘go to bed’ (wrote the Mets Minor League Report this morning). I got up at 5am again and went out to I95 where there is a McDonalds with Wifi. I sent my morning email to Sue, telling here I felt great and was “bright eyes and bushy tailed”, an old expression from my youth. It got me to wondering, so I looked up the origin:



a.     Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed comes direct and intact from the classic Fox Hunt. A fox with dull or cloudy eyes or a limp, listless ungroomed tail is one in poor health and will not provide a good active challenging chase over a long course. -  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_the_phrase_bright_eyed_and_bushy_tailed_come_from#ixzz21AFG2Ms4



4.     Boy, the tone in the clubhouse is sure down… and did you catch how ‘down’ TC was? He couldn’t wait to get off of that press chair. There’s very few answers left for the 2012 version of the team and, past Matt Harvey, the cupboard is empty.

No comments: