7/13/12

I May Be Wrong, But…



1.     It’s 1:28pm on Thursday and I’m getting blood tests. I haven’t been online since around 10am, but, the phone tends to ring if something big happens. I’m incorporating a new sports management business tomorrow with the ungodly name of… wait for it… Mack’s Sports Management. The kids with talent in this region need all the help they can get both academically and scholastically, and what’s wrong with asking a parent to agree to a small percentage of a signing bonus if I can help get them that far?



2.     My home county has had two 1-A high schools. They have agreed to merge and will play sports in 2013 as a 2-A, with two out of conference games against adjoining county schools in 5-A. My home school will now be called Ridgeland-Hardeeville High School, located in Ridgeland, South Carolina. I have covered these kids for six years now and am trusted by the “moms’ that rule the roost. The school is 95% non-white; however, I have also asked one of the African-American leaders in the county (and my lawyer) to be on the advisory committee. I’m also hoping for a parent of a past sport star that has gone all the way to join the Board.



3.      We have a secondary problem here that must be addressed. By my count, six of the last seven ballplayers that have gotten a ‘free ride’ by a college due to their success on the football field, have either dropped out or flunked out in their freshman college year. In all cases, the culprit was math and the reason seems to be that they were pushed through the system being taught below the levels needed to pass in a decent college. I’m going to be able to address this with the parent of future sports stars, especially having an African-American attorney covering their son or daughter’s back.



4.     Look, I can’t help them all. We had a female softball pitcher who would have graduated this past June. She threw 55 in the 8th grade and had eight no-hitters. She dropped out of school when she got pregnant as a freshman and she might be somewhere on the cast of ‘Breaking Bad’ as we speak.  We’ll see.



5.     I also see, looking at the TV screen that the Washington Nationals have decided to shut down Stephen Strasburg



6.     10:58pm… this has turned out to be an interesting post. I’m now in a hospital bed at the Hardeeville Hospital. My fever is up to 101.5 and chills (which the urgent care people earlier kept asking me if I had a fever. The doctor’s keep coming and checking the original bug bite on my hand. My ankles are heavily swollen with what looks like contact dermatitis. I feel like a Phillies fan.



7.     I better put the computer down (writing in hospital bed)… excuse any spelling errors

4 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Hey Mack,

Just visited the site and tried to leave a comment but your system ate it. Could be why there are so few comments on your site...

I thought it was pretty interesting that they are allowing two 1-A schools to combine and participate as a 2-A school. Was there a lot of controversy around that decision? What did the state athletic site say? Here in NC, the state site is the NCHSAA (North Carolina High School Athletic Association). Our big controversy was around private schools being admitted to the NCHSAA. It's been allowed for awhile but one school - Bishop McGuiness - is absolutely dominating in girls' basketball. A lot of other schools are up in arms and they actually had a vote to try to kick Bishop M. (and other private schools) out of the NCHSAA.

Any ideas why there are no D-III schools in SC?

Hope you beat back that temperature and get it back out of triple digits.

Brian Joura

Mack Ade said...

(I reprinted this for Brian)

That's interesting about Blooger eating comments... I've always had very few, but this is the first someone took the time to specualate why their comment was consumed.

No controversity here. Both were a combined school up to 2007 when they split. Both got new schools at the opposite ends of the county... and both started "alone" as a 1-A.

Ridgeland has grown on its own and was scheduled for 2-A in 2012-2013

Hardeeville, which was built for the "growth" expected down the road from Bluffton and Hilton Head, never happened. The only whites that moved here were 95% retired and the 5% put their kids in private schools or online via home school.

These are the only 2 schools in Jasper County.

Neighboring Beaufort County has two 5-A schools (Bluffton and Hilton Head) and two 2-A (Battery Creek and Beaufort)

No 3-As in SC ? Hmm... never realized that....

Justin M. said...

I noticed that the comments don't work on your mobile site (via iPhone). Never had a problem with the full non-mobile site though.

Mack Ade said...

I found where I could add MY mobil devise, but can't find where it would allow other mobile devises in...

Oh well...

I opened the site to anonymous comments again in hopes of getting more people to join in