7/21/12

Mack Interview – The Frank Viola Ten-Pack



I tried something different with Frank. I stole an idea from a great baseball writer and threw out the names of nine of Viola’s current staff members, plus one that was sent to St. Lucie. These names came from me, not him, and I asked him for his quick thoughts:

Michael Fulmer – “Impressive… he asks questions and he’s a quick learn. Throws strikes and has a great changeup. He carries himself like a 25-year old because he is a 25-year old (he’s 19).”

Domingo Tapia – “Incredible stuff. He needs to tune up his natural ability and add to what he has, but he throws a 97-mph slider. What more can I say?”

Jacob deGrom – “I called that one didn’t I? (from a previous interview). I simply love him. Still coming back a little from Tommy John Surgery and he’s still young (23).”

Logan Verrett – “It simply is too early to tell. Injuries have held him back, but he has a devastating slider.”

(at this point, some jerkoff TV reporter interrupted us and tried to pry Frank away from me. I told the guy to basically go fuck himself, which Frank enjoyed. He even told me to slow down…)

T.J. Chism – “What a bulldog. A very crafty pitcher. And, very smart.”

Marcos Camarena – “Craft and has three quality pitches.”

Chason Bradford – “this is one tough son-of-a-bitch and has a heavy sinker you will just fall in love with”

Alex Panteliodes – (long pause…) “Alex is an enigma.”

Rafael Montero – “An incredible fastball. St. Lucy is already in love with him. Could be the best of this lot.”

Carlos Vasquez – “Typical Latin player who pitches backwards and gets away with it (I was too embarrassed to ask him what he meant so I’m just writing down what he said and maybe one of you could translate it for me).


1 comment:

Wally said...

Good report. It was good to visit with you at the game last night.