3/6/13

3-6-13 – Ken Singleton, Ike Davis, Brant Rustich, Jenrry Mejia, ST Pitching






Ken Singleton was the Mets' first round selection in the 1967 January draft, taken one spot before future Hall of Famer Carlton Fisk.  At the time, the New York-born Singleton was a student at Hofstra University who had played just one year of college ball.  But that single season was enough to attract the attention of Mets scouts, as the team took the 19-year-old outfielder with the third overall pick in the draft.

          Singleton was born the same year I was and was part of the 1971 outfield which features Cleon Jones (.319) and Tommy Agee (.285). The Mets added him to a package deal to obtain Rusty Staub from Montreal which resulted in four productive years for Staub during the first time he was a Met. I liked Singleton, but, at the time, I loved the deal for Staub.



Ike Davis is among multiple candidates being considered to be added to Team USA for the World Baseball Classic, an official familiar with the process told ESPN
                   
God, I hope this doesn’t happen. This camp couldn’t possibly be going any worse and the last thing they would need is having other players that are trying to win utility roles having to fill in for the games Davis misses. I don’t expect the Mets to do much this year, but, if I’m wrong, there’s going to have to be a great year out of the box by Davis.

                   More importantly, his 2012 stat line doesn’t warrant the honor. Let him first earn the invitation after a great year in the MLB.



Brant Rustich is busy finishing up his grad work and will be back with us as soon as he can. He did send me an email last night and talked about a few of the players in the system:
                  
          I saw the list of the questions you sent me. I think highly of Matt den Dekker. When asked if he could play CF this year my answer is absolutely. Baseball season is long and streaky. Who knows what could really happen. I see him having the potential to play there, so it's not out of the question. However, if it means he doesn't start everyday and pull at-bats, he won't be there.

As for Domingo Tapia, that guy is quite the talent. First time I saw him pitch I was very impressed. He warmed up effortlessly at 98mph. I've played catch with him and he has feel. He can throw a change-up, he can spin the ball. He just needs to refine the gifts and learn to pitch. I didn't follow him last year, nor am I aware of his progress, but from what I saw, I would take him VERY serious.

Those list of pitchers I'm only familiar with Zack Wheeler and Darin Gorski. Both are very high on my list. First time I saw Gorski pitch, I asked myself how the hell did this kid fall to the 7th round. That was a score. I've thrown with Wheeler, and we've chatted a few times. My first impression, was obviously this kid knew what he is doing on the mound. Both have a ton of confidence from what I've seen and I think they will definitely be there.

Another I loved when I first saw pitch was Josh Edgin. I told him shortly after that he would pitch at Citifield last spring training 2012. He chuckled, I said, no I'm serious. You keep pitching like that, you'll be in the big leagues right now. Sure enough, later I checked and there he was... in the big leagues.

As for the draft, I would draft the best player available. Always.”



Jenrry Mejia was sent back to New York for tests Tuesday when doctors found a medical issue relating to his  physical. Mejia, 23, was scheduled to pitch in a B game against the Marlins. “It’s going to be dealt with here in the next day or so,” Collins said. “He was scratched early this morning. I don’t even know what it is.’’

                   Jeez… can’t TC just stuff a sock in his mouth once in awhile? And they wonder why we write that there is a disconnect in this camp. Do you really think that I wouldn’t know what’s up if one of my rotation pitchers was being sent off on a plane to new York for medical tests? And, if I didn’t know, would I tell a beat reporter that?


From the same article above:

If the Mets had to do it over again, they likely wouldn’t have had their pitchers on the mound as early as they did in this year’s longer-than-usual spring training. “We probably should have pushed some guys back,” a source said. “It might have saved us some trouble.”

                   More and more this seems to be being run like a church summer camp. And there is far too much talking going on behind the backs of top Mets officials. Not goo, folks. Not good.

3 comments:

Rusty Staub said...

The Metsies are going to have to make a lot of room on their 40 man roster. Their should be at least 5 guys that come off minor league contracts, e.g. cowgill and byrd

Coop said...

WOW! What balls some people have. Accusing others of plagiarism and theft of ideas, you don't even give PROPER CREDIT and pilfer another's content...someone you have accused of stealing your stuff. WOW. True balls. Very definition of irony. #Hack

Mack Ade said...

Coop - Don't know exactly what you are talking about.

Take a deep breath,

EVERY ARTICLE I help promte includes a link to it.

Click on:

Ken Singleton
ESPN
Jenrry Mejia

you will be taken to the original FULL story...

the Brant Rustich article was an original conversatio he and I had.

BTW, how are you? I haven't talked to you in quite awhile.

Please get back to me and tell me you understand and approve of how I am doing this. My readers, and most o the sites are familiar with it and love the linking.