3/18/13

Six Good Mets Stories




Nice story on my friend Nelson from John Delcos - link

        I went back to the press room during one of the Mets minor league games and thought I saw Nelson Figueroa walking to his car and leaving the complex early. I immediately went on the blog and reported that something might be up (injury, trade, whatever)… the ST game eventually ended and I was walking back into the press room when Figgy came over looking for me. Seems I mistaken him for another player and he wanted to make sure I had the story right so he wouldn’t get in trouble with the team. He also told me that he was alerted to what I had written by his wife back in Queens that was following the blog at the time. He was a pure gentleman and we have kept in touch ever since. I couldn’t be more happy for him.



Rising Apple writes about Travis d’Arnaud and Opening Day - link

            Yes, he is still on the spring training team and, yes, he should have been sent down last Friday. Rising Apple speculates that, with the loss of David Wright, the Mets might be keeping Arnaud around to help ticket sales. I just don’t think the Mets think that far ahead especially with what’s left of this team right now (Santana, Murphy, Francisco, etc). It would be very shortsighted to lose that year of team control just so this team can win maybe one more game in April.



A feel good story about Mets C Francisco Pena and the WBC - link

            Boy, this kid has been around since dirt. I met him in Savannah in 2007 when it seemed like every ball thrown to him got by. He finished his 6th year in the system hitting .254 for St. Lucie (.254) and then .198 for Binghamton (126-AB). Pena has a career .233 batting average with only 31-HRs in 1812-AB. Sadly, the talent in the father and brother just hasn’t been shared here so far.



David Lennon on Willie Randolph link

            The article asks if Randolph will ever manage again in baseball.

            "I still burn to manage," Randolph said. "I hope I get another shot."

            I still burn to have sex with two women at the same time, but it just isn’t going to happen again…



A nice story by Matt Balasis on Sandy Aldersonlink


Adam Rubin on David Wrightlink

1 comment:

Herb G said...

" I still burn to have sex with two women at the same time, but it just isn’t going to happen again" . . . AGAIN??? Does that mean that you've had sex with two women at the same time before? How often? How many? Mack, you devil!!!