7/7/14

D-Whit - My 2014 All-Star Ballot




1B AL
First, what are Daric Barton and Jose Guzman doing on the All-Star ballot?

Miquel Cabrera, in a down year for him and Albert Pujols, in a comeback season are deserving candidates and usually battling it out at or near the top but this season they’re both eclipsed by a rookie. 

My vote goes to Jose Abreu whose prodigious power 26 HR is hard to overlook. The slugging Cuban is having no problem adjusting to MLB pitching. 

My Vote-Jose Abreu, Chicago White Sox


On to the NL

1B NL
Gaby Sanchez has no business being anywhere near the All Star game (except as a spectator). Freeman is a worthy choice, as is the surprising Adam Laroche and comeback player of the year candidate Morneau who’s loving that rocky mountain air. A dark horse is the Cubbie’s Rizzo who has 17 HR for the sad sack Northsiders but the choice here is Goldschmitd, a legitimate MVP candidate on a wayward Diamondback’s club.

My vote-Paul Goldschimtd, Arizona Diamondbacks

2B AL
The A’s Sogard and Goins of the Jays are the two wtf??? candidates here. Overall a pretty uninspiring crew at the keystone in the AL. Kipnis has been lost all season at the plate, Cano is just heating up in his new home at Safeco, and as much as Altuve has been scorching at the dish and larcenous on the basepaths I’m going with Kinsler here. He has solidified 2B for the Tigers and so far is making the Fielder trade extremely one-sided. 

My vote-Ian Kinsler, Detroit Tigers

NL 2B
There’s nothing too embarrassing on the ballot for 2B in the NL. Furcal can’t stay on the field. Gyorko is on the DL and has been a major disappointment on the field thus far. Uggla continues his descent into irrelevancy. Scooter Gennett should be on here in place of Weeks. 

An even more non-descript group than in the AL. Murphy is worthy with the bat, not the glove. Utley and Phillps are showing their age. Rendon is a solid choice but I’m going with Dee Gordon here. His speed has taken over atop the Dodger line-up and he’s hitting surprisingly well, throw that in with solid glove work and he’s my choice for NL 2B.

My vote-Dee Gordon, Los Angeles Dodgers


AL SS
Remember when SS for the AL used to be all about Jeter, A-Rod, and Nomar plus Tejada? Well, those days are long gone. Now it’s Aybar, Andrus, and Ramirez. Not quite the same is it? In addition to the aforementioned players Escobar’s done some nice things in KC and Reyes is starting to get it going for the Jays. But I’m going with the SS from the Southside of Chicago Alexei Ramirez. He’s enjoying his best season since probably his rookie campaign and deserves the nod here.

My vote-Alexei Ramirez, Chicago White Sox

NL SS
In the NL Castro is rebounding nicely from an off ’13, Desmond has 15 HR’s, and Han-Ram has been solid but there’s really only one choice here-Tulo. Healthy and hitting a ton his 351 with 18 longballs gets my vote. 

My vote-Troy Tulowitzki, Colorado Rockies


AL 3B
With names and averages like Middlebrooks .197, Moustakas .188, and Santana .205 it’s like a group fighting for an exclusive new membership in the Mendoza Line club-though Santana has picked it up since coming off the DL last month. But despite Kyle Seager playing well in Seattle the choice here is Adrian Beltre who’s having another stellar year hitting .335 sure his power numbers (9) are down some but he missed some time early in the season. 

My vote-Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers


NL 3B
At 3B for the NL I’d really like to cast my vote for the Captain but I just can’t. David Wright is just not having an All-Star caliber season. I’m not sure if Aramis Ramirez or the resurgent Kung-Fu Panda is either but I’m pretty sure Red’s thirdsacker, the surprising Todd Fraizer is and in this case the darkhorse Fraizer beats out the other more well-known candidates.

My vote-Todd Frazier, Cincinnati Reds


AL C
I look at the catchers in the AL and scratch my head. Nobody really stands out in this group. Norris from the A’s does a little bit but Sal Perez of the Royals sticks out just a little more.

My vote-Salvador Perez, Kansas City Royals


NL C
Mesoraco, Molina, Montero are a triple M threat behind the plate and almost good enough on their own to merit my vote-so is Buster Posey. But Jonathan Lucroy is having a monster season and is starting catcher on my All-Star ballot. 

My vote-Jonathan Lucroy, Milwaukee Brewers


AL DH
The AL DH is a battle royale between power bats like Cruz and Encarnacion but while they’re slugging it out, I’m sneaking the sure to be AL Comeback Player of the Year Victor Martlinez onto my ballot instead. 

My vote-Victor Martinez, Detroit Tigers


AL OF
In the AL OF my first starter is Mike Trout. I can’t imagine many people omitting him from their ballots. After that?  I know I should go with the slugging Bautista 17 HR or Cespedes 14 here but instead I’m taking Brantley. He’s strong in the field and despite having less power 12 HR he’s driven in more than Bautista and his 10 SB’s gives him an added threat to both sluggers.  My third AL OF is Baltimore’s Adam Jones. He’s looking like an MVP contender this year.

My votes-Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels; Adam Jones, Baltimore Orioles: Michael Brantley, Cleveland Indians.



NL OF
It’s easier in the NL where I’m going with McCutchen and Stanton for my first two choices. For the third OF I’m taking Gomez over Puig, but I better vote now because in a few minutes I might reverse that. But Gomez is a better fielder and can beat you with power 13 HR and speed 14 SB.

My votes-Andrew McCuthchen, Pittsburgh Pirates; Carlos Gomez, Milwaukee Brewers; Giancarlo Stanton, Miami Marlins.



1 comment:

Tom Brennan said...

No Chris Young? Oh, I'm sorry, I was thinking about the Savannah Sand Gnats league's All Stars and thought he'd be a good fit there. And Gaby Sanchez IS an All Star - at least compared to Ike Davis.

Met All Stars sadly are scarce.