7/16/14

TOP PROSPECTS FROM DEEP DOWN UNDER – LAST IN A 4 PART SERIES




Greetings and salutations once again, fellow Met lovers.

On Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I posted the first 3 parts of a 4 part series on which of our young rookie prospects in the Mets’ short season (mid-June thru early September) leagues - Brooklyn, Kingsport, and the St Lucie-based Gulf Coast Mets are the crème de la crème of that lower end of our system.  (I explained Sunday why I am not looping in the two developmental league teams – take a look at Sunday’s article to see why, if you missed it).

I am identifying 20 top “guppy” dudes (5 Sunday, 5 Monday, 5 Tuesday, and 5 more today) as the current ones that as of my take are most likely to become major leaguers.  Guppies who we all hope will grow into piranhas this year and ferocious sharks some day, tearing opponents limb from limb on the battlefield between the white lines.

As noted  the last 3 days, ratings are pegged partly on draft level (with age factored in) and on international signing status, but also on performance – if you were a 2nd rounder and floundering, you’re not on the list.  Good performance for a high draftee will, however, quickly get you there.

Sunday, I presented for your reading pleasure my “A” group, guys who due to both pedigree and recent performance make me think that they have great major league prospects.  Monday, My “B Boys”.   Tuesday, the first 5 C Boys:

My A’s Fab Five are Marcos Molina, Blake Taylor, Amed Rosario, Jhoan Urena, and Corey Oswalt. Corey struggled over the weekend and his holding on an A rating is tenuous.

My B Boys are Michael Conforto, Eudor Garcia, Michael Katz, Luis Guillorme, and John Mora. Like Avis they are # 2 and trying harder.

My first 5 "C Creatures" were Brad Wieck, Kelly Seacrest, Brandon Brosher, Luis Ortega, and Adrian Almeida.

Today, the last 5 of my ten “C” rated guys; C guys to me seem more of a long shot but definitely worth watching.  In no particular order, again.  I’ll let them duke it out in the fish tank on their way to becoming B’s and A’s. 

To reiterate, I weight a lot on performance, and there has been little of it so far this year, since they all started this season less than a month ago, so future rankings may shift quite a bit based on what the guys on those teams all do over the weeks ahead.



Here are the last 5 of my ten “C” Laddies (in no particular order):

Martires Arias, Kingsport P, Grade C   More than a K per inning and a 0.48 ERA and 0.68 WHIP makes him the one Kingsport pitcher to warrant a mention so far.   He is a sizable dude, at 6’7” 210, and this righty is doing all-righty.  Also pitched in Kingsport in 2012 (16 innings in 12 games) and 2013 (not good, you don’t wanna know), but in answer to the question, “what have you done for me lately,” the answer is “enough to warrant a C Grade, my good man.”  So let’s see if he can bust it out of Tennessee and head to good ol’ Savannah, Georgia soon.



Oswald Johan (Romero) Caraballo, Kingsport OF - GRADE C    I was intrigued by the name, no offense to the Kennedy clan, but also, any guy with 5 O's in his name is A - O - K with me.  Kidding aside, Oswald is a guy who has not impressed prior to this year, with an OK DSL 2012 stint followed by an anemic .197 in his real debut last year in the Gulf Coast League.
But I am a real "What have you done for me lately" guy, and Mr. Caraballo is acquitting himself nicely so far in Kingsport.  The 21 year old righty was hitting .330 in 90 at bats with 5 doubles and 3 homers, which long balls are an unexpected surprise from him after a powerless prior career.  He like many others must have never been enthralled with the 4 Seasons hit "Walk Like a Man" since he has only walked once this year, but at the same time, only 10 K's, which I really like. So, he is a little advanced in age for where he is but based on performance, I'll toss him in there and see if he can keep up his C grade.  Other guppies want to take his place in the top 20 rankings, so he will have to keep swinging a solid bat to stay there.




Pedro Perez, Kingsport 3B/1B, switch hitter - GRADE C   Pedro gets onto the list for a few reasons.  He may, first of all, look nothing like him in real life, but in his team photo on MILB.COM, he sorta looks like what I'd picture my favorite actor Denzel Washington looking like at 19.  But can he hit like Denzel did in his saloon fight in his flick the Book of Eli?  As Sarah Palin might say, "You BETCHA!"  

Started a little slow this year, but how's this for a Pedro Perez slash line in his last 10 games: .385/.467/.641.   That works!  That right there gets him on my list.  Dude also has a very reasonable strikeout rate, so I am detecting nothing but good things from his performance early on.  I confess I did not look at him until today, but I'm on the Pedro Perez bandwagon until he kicks me off.  Denzel would approve.


Dash Winningham, GCL 1B, Lefty - GRADE C  Dash gets on my list based on the moniker alone, but he also earns it by a high (8th round) 2014 draft slot.  Only hitting .222 in his first 14 games, but hey, he's only 18 until October, so get off his back, all right?  OK, then. 

Anyway, the 6'2" 230 Dash has shown he is adjusting nicely, going 7 for 29 with 5 extra base hits (YEAH! Remember Ike Davis took over 300 plate appearances to hit his first minor league dinger, so Dash is way ahead of the former Met hopeful) and 3 walks (good) and only 6 K's in his last 9 games.  That dashes him onto my Top 20, and here is hoping he stays on it. 

P.S.   No dash for him on the base paths so far, with just an 0 for 1 on steal attempts, but Billy Hamilton is trying to buy the rights to his name.  Billy can't have the rights - he's ours.  Let it rip, Dash! 

And the final top 20 guy:


Tyler Badamo, GCL RHP - GRADE C.  Hey, I can use a little discretion can't I?  He lives in Mt. Sinai, close to where I used to live (who cares?) and near where Steve Matz grew up (WOW!  He matters!)   So I am the judge and jury, and he makes my list.  I mean, living in Mt. Sinai means he probably knows Moses, which is amazing, don’t ya think? And he went to baseball powerhouse Dowling, also amazing!!  A 6'2" 210 lb righty who was drafted in the 24th round, and has tossed great relief outings with 8 K's in 5 innings worked and just one run.   That ain’t ‘Bad Ammo’ he’s firing!  He makes my list this week.  Let's see if he can stay up there!


As a final note, high draftees get the benefit of the doubt generally, but two high draftees from 2013 do not, due to recent struggles: 


  • 2013 power hitter and 3rd rounder Ivan Wilson is striking out way, way too much, and here's hoping he fixes that and forces his way using his brute strength onto the list. 
  • Andrew Church, also at Kingsport, was last year's 2nd rounder but has given up way too many hits (23) and way too few K's (3) in his 15 innings this year.  Hoping he'll come around soon.


That’s my rankings, my top 20.  Guppies on their way to becoming sharks.

Hope you enjoyed the 4 articles.  Whaddyathink? 

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Reese Kaplan said...

Those recent numbers from Martires Arias certainly merit him being watched more closely. Perhaps something finally clicked for him to explain the ratcheting up in performance.