7/14/14

TOP PROSPECTS FROM DEEP DOWN UNDER – SECOND IN A 4 PART SERIES



Hi again, folks.

Yesterday, I started a 4 part series on which of our young rookie prospects in the Mets’ short season (mid-June thru early September) leagues - Brooklyn, Kingsport, and the St Lucie-based Gulf Coast Mets are the crème de la crème of that lower end of our system.  (I explained yesterday why I am not looping in the two developmental league teams – take a look at yesterday’s article to see why, if you missed it).

I am identifying 20 top “guppy” dudes (5 yesterday, 5 today, and 5 more in each of the next two days) as the current ones that as of my take today are most likely to become major leaguers.  Guppies who we all hope will grow into ferocious sharks some day, tearing opponents limb from limb on the battlefield between the white lines.

As noted yesterday, ratings are pegged partly on draft level (with age factored in) and on international signing status, but also on performance – if you were a 2nd rounder and floundering, you’re not on the list.  Good performance for a high draftee will, however, quickly get you there.

Yesterday, I presented for your reading pleasure my “A” group, guys who due to both pedigree and recent performance make me think that they have great major league prospects.  Hey, if you missed it because you were funnin’ and sunnin’ over the weekend, after you slap on some Aloe Vera, go back and take a look, OK?  All right.

Anyway, those of the A Group Fab Five are Marcos Molina, Blake Taylor, Amed Rosario, Jhoan Urena, and Corey Oswalt. BTW, Corey struggled over the weekend and so his holding on an A rating is tenuous.  Let's see what happens this week.

Today, my “B” rated guys.
 B's are perhaps lighter in one or both of the “A” group’s criteria, or just so far (like the first guy below) have an Incomplete grade.  (Note: Players' stats are thru late last week)

“C” rated dudes?  More of a long shot but definitely worth watching.  Those I will identify Tuesday and Wednesday at high noon, so stay tuned.

To reiterate, I weight a lot on performance, and there has been little of it so far this year, since they all started this season less than a month ago, so future rankings may shift quite a bit based on what the guys on those teams all do over the weeks ahead.


Here are my “B” Boys:



Michael Conforto - Brooklyn Cyclones OF - GRADE B.   My grades are based on a mix of a player's ceiling as evidenced by the draft, etc., coupled with his performance this year.  Michael may be the top of the heap talent-wise, but his having not yet played reduced his overall grade to a B.  If Babe Ruth didn't play, he gets a B.  No exceptions. 


My guess is Mr. Conforto, a 6'2", 220 lb lefty slugger and righty thrower, will move to the head of my Met class quickly, once he actually begins using that lethal bat in Met organization games.  I can't wait to see this young man in action.  I love a hitter who can slug too. I WANT the Mets to slug, and he seems to be a pounder. He spent three years starring at Oregon State, where I understand he was feared enough to be walked constantly.  And was an RBI machine to boot.  Bring it on!



Eudor Garcia, Kingsport 3B – Grade B  Eudor is a 6’1”, 215 righty hitter, who was the 115th overall pick in this draft.  They say this 20 year old dude can rake – but so far his rake is good but not great, with a .250/.354/.321 slash.  Only 11 Ks in 63 appearances, so he’s making good contact.  Speed is not an element of his game, and his arm is supposedly not a gun, so let’s see how soon the bat starts booming and get a better read on him.



Michael Katz – Grade B    Monsieur Katz (pronounced Cats) as a ballplayer is anything but a dog. He is someone I had to choose in fact, if for no other reason than that my dentist has the same name - they could be related, and if so, Dr. Katz might be a little rougher on me when I get my next root canal if I left him off the list.  Anyway, Katz the player turns 22 next month and was drafted in the 9th round this year out of William and Mary College as a 6’3” 235 lb. power hitting righty OF. 

He is hitting a commendable .292 in Brooklyn so far.  K’s are nearly 1 per game, so that needs attention, and the power is not yet blossoming (no homers, .382 slug% so far).  But only 100 plate appearances to date, so let’s see how Michael progresses from here.  I understand speed is not an attribute for him in the outfield.  



Luis Guillorme, Kingsport SS, Grade B.  This 19 year old is hitting .313 with just a K every 8 at bats at the tender age of 19 after a solid into stint in the GCL last year. 5’10”, 170, no power, low Ks.  Eight errors, but Guillorme (drafted in the 10th round of 2013) is considered a whiz defender. We’ll see... another Ruben Tejada in the making?

John Mora, GCL OF, Grade B   We all wanna see Mora John Mora, right, Melvin?  Mora is the one offensive GCL dude to make this coveted list.  58 plate appearances, and with a line of .404/.525/.447, he is the lone .400 hitter on the list.  Only 4 strikeouts! WHEW! Six steals too, with 15 runs in 14 games.  Lack of power so far holds him to a B in my book. 


So now you have my top 10 – whaddya think, folks? 

Parts 3 and 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday lists the remaining 10 Guppies Extraordinaire – stay tuned.
And have a great day.

No comments: