1/30/15

Mack - 2015 Prospect List - #7 – SS – Amed Rosario



My rankings is solely subjective and based on nothing more than what is in my head at time I’m writing this. I’ve followed the Mets minor league players for many years and I feel I can recognize talent at various levels of their development. What I have failed at is how to determine when this talent seems to diminish. It’s amazing how many first round picks never make it in this game.

I’m old school, so you won’t seem much SABR-discussion here, I do research and, when I find a good quote or two, I’ll add them to my analysis, but, like I said in the beginning of this post, most of this us subjective.

Let’s get started.

#7 – SS – Amed Rosario – 19-years old – 6-2, 170 – R/R

                       Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic – International free agent signee

                       2013 – Kingsport – 212-AB, .241, .279, .358, 637, 3-HR, 23-RBI

                       2014 – Brklyn-Sav – 296-AB, .274/.320/.372/691, 2-HR, 27-RBI


The Mets signed Rosario in July 2012 with the largest signing bonus in team history ($1.75mil).

Defensively, he’s way ahead of where other 19-year olds play this game. He did have trouble with the game in 2013 with Kingsport, but he’s starting to allow his natural ability take over his game in the field.

Offensively, he’s still learning the game, though his Brooklyn numbers, along with his field play, impressed most scouts that followed this team.


Outlook –


The Mets will not rush Rosario. He’ll return to Savannah… if… Gavin Cecchini returns to St. Lucie, Phillip Evans plays Binghamton, and Matt Reynolds/Wilfredo Tovar play Las Vegas.

I hope the Mets don’t make a mistake here and rush Rosario to St. Lucie. He still has a lot to learn with a bat in his hand.


Rosario projects out to be the best shortstop prospect in the system, but he won’t be ready until 2018 at the earliest. 

7 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

2018 sounds about right for Rosario. Maybe mid 2017. Another intriguing guy to watch in 2015.

Anonymous said...

Keith Law seems to really like Rosario

Charles said...

Law said he'd be a star. So if say he more than likes him. I wish the Mets would throw another million or two into the international market regularly. They do however produce ML players from this market and that won't stop. They still left about 700,000 from this current signing period on the table.

This coming signing period I hope they really go all out. I figure that they had 6 million+ slotted towards their draft, but they don't have a first rounder anymore so I hope they roll over that two million any still put it towards prospect acquisition in the international market.

That'll probably mean going over their slot limits which the Mets have never done, but wouldn't it be nice if they sign a couple of players in the cpncensus top 10 this year? Instead of sticking to the lower end of the prospect rankings like usual.

I think they look for volume during these signings. They seem to grab a bunch of players in the low six figures to high six figures, with maybe one player they'll go to seven figures on. That's worked out and they've got some good young players in the low minors, but I'd really like to see a kid like Vlad Gurerro Jr get signed. I really don't think he's going to the Blue Jays.

Mack Ade said...

Nmes to keep an eye on already in the Mets system:

P Adonis Uceta

P Jose Medina

C Walter Rasquin

2B Franklin Correa

greg b said...

I also read a player we should be excited sbout is 16 yr old SS Kenny Henderson. Might be as good as Rosario.

Anonymous said...

Let's not make this guy a star yet. How many times has Law really liked someone and it didn't pan out. Law needs to spend more time actually watching these kids play rather than reading someone else's notes.

Mack Ade said...

I don't think any of us have the ability to turn any of these ballplayers into stars.

Our role on amateur blogs is to keep the names out there so all of you recognize them if they happen to rise to the top someday.