1/19/12

Mack and Company with... Kevin Gausman




#12 Kevin Gausman
Position: Pitcher
Bats: Left Handed
Throws: Right Handed
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Class: Sophomore
Experience: 1 Letter
City/State: Centennial, Colo.
High School: Grandview HS
Major: Sports Administration
Born: 01/06/1991



We’re talking today with one of the top pitchers in the upcoming 2012 draft, LSU’s Kevin Gausman. 

Hi Kevin, this is Christopher Soto from Mack’s Mets.

1.     What's one thing that you'll be working on primarily this spring in order to make yourself a more "attractive" pick?

2.     Do you have a preference as to a location you like to end up? (The East coast, West coast, Texas, Canada, etc.)

Kevin:  Thanks for having me Christopher.

I would have to say Im working on just being more consistent. I feel really confident in my ability to throw my fastball and changeup whenever I need to for strikes, but ive never really had that great breaking pitch. Thats definitely my focus this off season and heading into the regular season. Last year I threw a slider, but it wasnt very effective and me and my new pitching coach Alan Dunn have really focused on throwing a true curve. With my high arm slot it just makes sense and goes a lot better with my combination of pitches I already have.

Obviously being from Denver I would love to end up somewhere close to home. That being said I know that I dont have a say in that and I just know that wherever I go I will be playing baseball so it'll be great. Right now Im just focused on winning 
 a championship for Tiger Nation.
Hello Kevin, Charles Thompson here.  My question is something I've always wondered myself.  If I was in your position, I'd be praying I was drafted by the team I grew up rooting for.  Is there any part of you that has that hope or do you just want to be drafted as quickly as possible?  Thanks Kevin and good luck


Charles,

I always dreamed of playing for the Rockies growing up and I remember thinking how cool it would be to play for them. I always saw myself as the kid from Denver playing in Denver for the Rockies, being the player that kids like me would look up to. After this past post season I think of it just like David Freese being from St. Louis and winning a championship for his home team. Thats something you just dream about as a little kid.


"Hey Kevin this is Stephen from Mack's Mets. I have started covering the 2012 draft and the most recurring comment regarding you I hear/read from scouts, experts, and writers is your improved secondary offerings since your high school days. Could you share with us a bit about what you throw and what you'll be working on most this spring?"


Stephen,

Looking back on my high school days I realize how much I have grown as a pitcher. In hs i used to be able to throw fastballs and get away with it, I didnt even have a change-up until the summer before I stepped on campus. I have really worked hard on those secondary pitches and developing a true curve is what I am putting my biggest focus on going into the spring. I throw a four-seem FB, one-seem FB, kind of a hybrid change-up like the one Tim Lincecum throws, and now a true 12-6 curve( still a work in process).

Kevin, it's Mack.  A few things...

1. Do you have indication of you are going to start the opener on 2-17 vs. Air Force? 

2. Scouting reports on you out of high school had the tempo on your delivery in question. Have you sped that up since then?

3. Wanna have lunch when you end the season here in South Carolina?


Mack,

1. I do believe I will start the season opener as of now.

2. I have always had a slow tempo. I found that the more I speed up my tempo I find that I fall off and just become inconsistent. I like the fact that my delivery is slow, it keeps me from getting ahead of myself and lets my arm catch up.

3. We will have to see about lunch as we usually have a strict schedule on the road, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Again thanks for having me. I always love talking baseball with people who actually know the in and outs of the game. Thanks and God Bless













No comments: