2/11/12

I May Be Wrong, But…


I May Be Wrong, But…

·        I couldn’t help but notice that Mets GM Sandy Alderson is now on Twitter. I think he should have checked in with Josh Thole before he did that. Mets fans are tough, but the Twitter kids are brutal. He’s driving from NYC to St. Lucie and I wouldn’t be surprised if you see his hand held thrown out the window somewhere on I95.


·        I wanted to give a special thank you to Christopher Soto who decided to put the pen down and leave the stable of great writers here at MMs. You can still catch some of his comments on Toby Hyde’s site and I hope he checks in with us once in a while also. I miss you already, Chris.


·        The proposed sale of the B-Mets to a group that would move it to Canada, could be the first step in the Mets leaving New York State (not “da city”). Buffalo hasn’t been thrilled since the Mets came to town there and this would be a great opportunity to move their two critical minor league teams out of the snow-belt. No, the Met will not play in Ottawa, pray for the young arms that do in April. The report came from an Adam Rubin tweet that made reference to a newspaper story out of Canada. I read that story and, at the end of it, they also reported that the Mets would then buy the A-level team that’s for sale in Batavia, New York. Clayton Collier, over at Metsmerized had a better idea. Why not upgrade Brooklyn to a AA team. I could hear the call-up call now… TAXI!!!!

·        Anthony DiComo wrote about a telephone conversation he had with OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis:

I'm itching to play again," said Nieuwenhuis, who will report to Port St. Lucie, Fla., more than a week early. "It feels like forever since I've played a game. I'm just super excited to get back into it and get back in the swing of things. I'm more excited for this Spring Training than I've ever been."


This is about as close to a good medical report as we’re going to get right now. I do caution in translating that he’s 100% but it sure sounds like he’s close. I still hope they take their time here and let him play every day at AAA until September.
One more thing about the Captain. Fans are now starting to realize that every talent evaluator has said the same thing about Nieuwenhuis. He projects as a 4th outfielder.

·        Ex-Mets on the Move:

o   LHP Casey Fossum and C Ronny Paulino have signed minor league deals with Baltimore.


5 comments:

sschreiber13 said...

Would love to see Brooklyn become a full season affiliate but Toby Hyde did a pretty good job explaining why there's such a small chance of that actually happening yesterday:

"Here’s the key part. There are only 30 businesses in America licensed to operate a double-A baseball team. There are only 12 licensed to play in the Eastern League. For example, the Mets cannot just pick up and declare the Brooklyn Cyclones their double-A team. The Cyclones currently hold a New York-Penn League medallion. To put their AA team in Brooklyn, the Mets would either need 1. to buy a AA team (with their AA medallion) or 2. convince an existing double-A team to move to Brooklyn and build another stadium for the Cyclones somewhere else. Neither of these things is going to happen."

http://www.metsminorleagueblog.com/about-those-b-mets-to-ottowa-rumors/#more-14927

It'd be great to have full season, AA Mets baseball so close to New York City but it doesn't look like an option, at least not in the very near future (2013). Maybe in a few years when they've got some money, they could buy a AA franchise, rename it the Cyclones and move it into Brooklyn or build a stadium on Long Island and move a team out there.

Anonymous said...

Tampa Bay Rays contract with Hudson Valley Renegades is up at the end of this season. Maybe TB would like to be closer to home, and maybe Brooklyn could become AA Mets and Hudson Valley could be the Short Season A Mets. Both stadiums pack out.

Mack Ade said...

Toby would have the knowledge on this subject so I would go with what he said

Michael S. said...

I still have faith in The Captain. True, he gets profiled as a 4th OF, but that's because his range might not be good enough for CF and he won't hit 30HR. That being said, I see no reason he can't play very good corner defense and be an offensive contributor on a complete team. I think he has the talent to start.

Mack Ade said...

Well, I will say this...

He's "on the board" to replace Jason Bay in LF in 2014.

den Dekker is projected in CF in 2014 and Duda in RF.

All three will then have to fight off Gilbert Gomez, and Brandon Nimmo