4/15/12

True Mets

I made a list today of the great "homegrown" New York Yankees, that spent their entire career with the same team.  I came up with: Mariano Rivera, Joe Dimaggio, Don Mattingly, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Whitey Ford, Bernie Williams, Yogi Berra, Derek Jeter, Thurman Munson, and Andy Pettite. 

I'm sure that I left some out, but the point is: I can't think of a single one for the Mets...Tom Seaver?  Nope, Had some of his best years with the Reds.  Gary Carter?  Nope, he was in his 30's by the time the Mets got him, and he went into the hall as an Expo.  In fact, most of our best homegrown stars like Gooden, Strawberry, and Cone went on to become as much Yankees as they are Mets.

Is David Wright good enough to be considered a great career Met?  I really don't know.  But I do know that if the Mets continue to trade their David Cones and Jeff Kents for Alex Ochoas and Ryan Thompsans, we'll never know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure Petitte played in Houston with Clemens for a few years.

Mack Ade said...

does Sid Finch count?

David Rubin said...

Craig, Petitte played in Houston.

Craig Brown said...

He did indeed :) My Bad.